All Our Members Are Certified to Meet the Standards of the Canadian Auto Recyclers’ Environmental Code (CAREC)
The National Code of Practice for Automotive Recyclers was developed for Environment Canada in 2008 for recyclers participating in the National Vehicle Recycling Program called “Retire Your Ride.” The Code was developed to standardize the process for recycling end-of-life vehicles (ELV’s) and to protect our water, air and soil from the harmful materials they contain. Given the popularity and success of the Code, ARC and its member associations decided to not only continue with the program, but to expand its scope after the Retire Your Ride program ended in March 2011.
The Code of Practice was renamed the Canadian Auto Recyclers’ Environmental Code (CAREC) and expanded to cover all end-of-life vehicles (not just those targeted by the Retire Your Ride program).
CAREC has 3 main goals:
- To convey the legal and mandatory requirements before, during, and after the recycling process and promote best management practices within the industry;
- To promote pollution prevention and the 3Rs (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle) in the vehicle recovery industry to reduce the ecological impact of the automotive sector; and
- To ensure that there is a consistent set of practices that are aligned, as much as possible, with federal, provincial, and municipal laws and regulations, as well as with product and industry stewardship programs, where applicable.
ARC has made it a policy that any recycler that is a new or existing member of any of their associations must be audited by an independent third party and certified to meet the standards of the Canadian Auto Recyclers’ Environmental Code.
Read more about CAREC, go the the website here
Gold Seal Certification
The Gold Seal Program is a voluntary quality assurance accreditation program that helps guarantee high quality recycled parts, with no surprises on delivery. It utilizes a series of standards, audits and Customer Satisfaction Indexes (CSI) requirements to help ensure the best quality recycled parts are reliably provided to repairers, insurers and the motoring public.
To learn more about Gold Seal go to the website here.
Code of Ethics
As a condition of membership in ARC, our members agree:
- To respect the reputation, profile and status of their regional association, and represent the Association accordingly;
- To operate according to the ordinances, statutes and laws of the various jurisdictions;
- To promote the conservation of energy and the total utilization of our natural and manufactured resources;
- To minimize the reduction of usable automotive parts to scrap, as long as we believe there remains a reasonable potential of saving the energy it represents, by negating the need to manufacture a similar replacement part;
- To maintain a clean and non-polluting environment in and around our place(s) of business;
- To participate in the functions and activities of the Association, and where possible lend my/our business and professional expertise